By: Jonathan Fields
Book Overview: Seriously . . . another book that tells you how to live a good life? Don’t we have enough of those? You’d think so. Yet, more people than ever are walking through life disconnected, disengaged, dissatisfied, mired in regret, declining health, and a near maniacal state of gut-wrenching autopilot busyness. How to Live a Good Life is your antidote; a practical and provocative modern-day manual for the pursuit of a life well lived. No need for blind faith or surrender of intelligence; everything you’ll discover is immediately actionable and subject to validation through your own experience.
Post(s) Inspired by this Book:
- 7 Quotes on Living A Good Life from Jonathan Fields
- Bringing A Child With Autism to the Theater? This Reaction Might Surprise You.
The following is an excerpt from The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson. It recounts the life and story of Buddha and how he went from being a young, spoiled child—who had essentially everything (and anything) he could have ever wished for—to the sage that we remember him as today who practiced severe asceticism before his enlightenment.
The suffering that the Buddha endured formulated the foundation for the teachings and philosophies on which Buddhism was later founded and the story of the Buddha shares a deep insight about how happiness is not the absence of suffering but rather a dance with suffering and non-ascetic, middle way living.
Below, you will find the story of Buddha as it was shared in The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck. While you read, we strongly encourage you to reflect on your beliefs of suffering and happiness and challenge you to take notes (real or mental) on areas of your life that might need some attention or reevaluation.
Some questions to consider: Are you pursuing happiness or happy in your pursuits? Are you waiting for a criteria to be met before you feel that you can be happy? Is meeting that criteria really going to make you happy or will it just lead to more criteria? If you’re feeling moved, drop some of your thoughts in the comment section below! We hope this helps and we hope you find value in this story. Enjoy!
By: Mark Mason
Post(s) Inspired by this Book:
- The Story of Buddha and How Happiness is Not the Absence of Suffering.
- 9 Relationship Quotes That Will Make You Feel Better About Commitment.
- 3 Quotes From The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson [VIDEO]
- How To Handle Problems and Challenges in Life [VIDEO]
- 15 No Bullsh*t Success Quotes from The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
- A Mastery Mindset Tip from Mark Manson: Handle Problems on Your Own Terms.
- 8 Quotes on Learning From Experience and How To Fail Forward in Life
- How To Rebound From BIG FAILURES [VIDEO]
“Love, at every opportunity you are given to love. Be less afraid. Embrace each day (none are promised). Cry when you need to, it’ll make you feel better. You were put on this planet to feel every feeling you could, do that. Everything works out in the end. I promise.” ~ Iain Thomas, I Wrote This For You